How to get your customers to trust you. Why is this so critical? Well, trust is very important, both in your personal relationships and in your relationships with your customers.
Business owners need to understand that:
1. All sales are emotional. Whether you run a small convenience store in a subway station selling snacks and magazines to busy commuters or a company worth millions that provides consulting services to other companies, you ultimately appeal to emotion, not logic, to make your sale.
2. Gaining credibility, or a customer’s trust that you know what you’re talking about and that you’re going to do what you say what you will, is one of the 3 Tenets of a Sale.
There is a difference between sensible trust, or the trust that develops between people in long-term relationships like those between family, old friends, and significant others, and sensitive trust, which you must develop with customers with whom there likely isn’t that personal history. The inevitable question arises of how to develop that sensitive trust quickly, so that customers will buy from you.
This is where the 3 Tenets of a Sale, or the Sales Funnel, comes in, as people buy from you when they:
1. Know you
2. Trust you
3. Like you.
Marketing is a great way to build sensitive trust and keep people buying from you.
You can use Small Business Solver’s Marketing Solver tool to find a whole list of simple-to-implement marketing strategies that can give you credibility in a flash:
1. Get business cards
2. Record a professional voice mail message
3. Develop a web presence (not necessarily a web site!)
4. Ask for referrals/testimonials
5. Use branded contracts/invoices
6. Rent a post office box
7. Get a 1-800 number
8. Look for media cover opportunities (press releases, articles, etc. – not paid ads)
9. Encourage customers to leave online ratings on sites like Google and Yelp
10. Do presentations (keynotes, panels, webinars)
11. Hire a virtual assistant or use a calling service to look bigger than you are
12. Make brochures to hand out to clients interested in larger or B2B sales
13. List your products in established online stores (Etsy, Yahoo, Alibaba) for better SEO rankings and streamlined customer experience
14. Respond to blogs, letters to the editor, related forums to raise awareness of your company
15. List awards your company has won – even small ones
16. Develop an online portfolio
17. Go to networking events
Building credibility is hard work, and it’s easy to be very hard on yourself if you inadvertently let a customer down. However, if you do, don’t throw up your hands – the situation is salvageable! Plus it is important to know how to rebuild trust in this situation. Remember, nobody’s perfect – you are not the first to do this, you won’t be the last. Handle it gracefully, to the best of your ability, and forgive yourself.
All the strategies in this 20-minute video are low-cost, can be implemented quickly, and do wonders for your credibility. Watch the webinar for details on how to implement each one, pick one or two to try this month, and let us know your results! We’d love to hear from you!