When it comes to sales, vour credibility is critical. Trust is as important in your relationships with your customers as your it is in your personal relationships. As a business owner, you need mustunderstand that:
- All sales are emotional. Whether you own a convenience store in a small town or an internationally-known software company worth millions of dollars, you ultimately appeal to emotion, not logic, to make your sale.
- Gaining credibility, or a customer’s trust that you know what you’re talking about and that you’ll do what you say what you will, is one of the 3 Tenets of a Sale.
Credibility and Sensitive Trust
The trust that you must develop with customers, who are likely people with whom there isn’t a long and complex personal history, is called sensitive trust. Senstive trust is different than the sensible trust that develops between people in long-term relationships (family, old friends, and significant others), and must develop much more quickly in order to establish the credibility needed to close the sale.
Let’s examine the 3 Tenets of a Sale, or the Sales Funnel, to see how you how you develop that sensitive trust?
The 3 Tenets of a Sale
The 3 Tenets of a Sale, or the Sales Funnel, theory is based on the idea that as people buy from you when they:
- Know you
- Trust you
- Like you.
Marketing is a great way to build sensitive trust and keep people buying from you.
You can use Small Business Solver’s Marketing Solver tool to find a whole list of simple-to-implement marketing strategies that can increase your credibility in a flash:
- Get business cards
- Record a professional voice mail message
- Develop a web presence (not necessarily a web site!)
- Ask for referrals/testimonials
- Use branded contracts/invoices
- Rent a post office box
- Get a 1-800 number
- Look for media cover opportunities (press releases, articles, etc. – not paid ads)
- Encourage customers to leave online ratings on sites like Google and Yelp
- Do presentations (keynotes, panels, webinars)
- Hire a virtual assistant or use a calling service to look bigger than you are
- Make brochures to hand out to clients interested in larger or B2B sales
- List your products in established online stores (Etsy, Yahoo, Alibaba) for better SEO rankings and streamlined customer experience
- Respond to blogs, letters to the editor, related forums to raise awareness of your company
- List awards your company has won – even small ones
- Develop an online portfolio
- Go to networking events
Which marketing strategies are you currently using? Which ones could you easily start using?
Building credibility is hard work, and it’s easy to be very hard on yourself if you inadvertently let a customer down. However, if you do, don’t throw up your hands – the situation is salvageable! Plus it is important to know how to rebuild trust in this situation. Remember, nobody’s perfect – you are not the first to do this, you won’t be the last. Handle it gracefully, to the best of your ability, and forgive yourself.
Learn More about Credibility
All the strategies in this 20-minute video are low-cost, can be implemented quickly, and do wonders for your credibility. Watch the webinar for details on how to implement each one, pick one or two to try this month, and let us know your results! We’d love to hear from you!
Was this helpful? Watch more webinars on our YouTube Channel!