Does your business have credibility? Do you offer a credible product or service?
In other words, do people believe that you’re capable of doing what you say you can do? Do people believe your product will perform as you claim?
Credibility means having customers believe you or your product can do what you claim.
Credibility is related to trust:
- People do business with and people they trust.
- One of the main reasons consumers don’t buy a product or service is because they don’t have trust it will work.
- Trust and credibility must be earned, and it’s not always easy. Establishing credibility when you sell products is difficult. Establishing credibility when you sell services is even more difficult! Customers can’t physically put their hands on a service, so its credibility isn’t as easily measured.
You must ask yourself if your product or service be trusted based on the messages your company is sending. Remember, you send messages through your marketing pieces, your communications with people and the ways in which you conduct yourself.
Without credibility, people perceive your product or service as having less value. Customers have no reason to pay for your product or service if they don’t believe it will live up to your claims. In fact, a product or service with no credibility increases the customer’s risk in multiple and significant ways:
- Risk of being unhappy with the purchase
- Risk of having to buy a different product to replace the one bought from you.
- Risk that the outcome of your service will create a new problem rather than fixing the original problem.
If consumers perceive risk from doing business with you, they will do business elsewhere.
Use this module if:
- You’re still looking to make that first sale.
- You’re selling a service, for which it’s more difficult to establish credibility. You provide a professional service about which the customer doesn’t have a lot of knowledge in advance. The less customers know about what you do, the more reluctant they’ll be to make a purchasse, and the more credibility you’ll need to establish first.
- You have a lot of potential customers—people who really like you personally and are knowledgeable about your product or service—but few sales. The problem is credibility.
Topic Objective: Learn how to enhance your credibility and professionalism.
Your Outcome: Customers who trust you, believe in you and buy from you.